a project of United Nations Develoment Programme UNDP – also in spanish and french
As a trusted multilateral partner serving 166 developing countries around the world, UNDP is uniquely positioned to help advocate for change, connect countries to the knowledge and resources they need to accelerate the progress of human development – to achieve the MDGs and to reduce poverty … (about Poverty Reduction).
About Poverty Reduction: … The organization invests approximately US$1 billion each year in fighting poverty and advancing progress towards the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) through:
- Implementing programmes
- Developing capacity
- Providing policy advice and technical support
- Building partnerships
- Sharing experiences and good practices
Find out more about UNDP’s work in poverty reduction.
- Through its country offices, UNDP implements programmes and develops the capacity of partners such as national and local governments, non-governmental organizations and community groups to reduce poverty and achieve the Millennium Development Goals.
In the regions:
Regional centres serve as knowledge hubs linking Country Offices in the region, as well as Regional Bureaux and the Bureau for Development Policy in UNDP Headquarters. The main functions of UNDP’s regional centres are to:
- Provide advisory services to developing countries through UNDP’s Country Offices in the region, manage UNDP’s regional programmes and provide knowledge services;
- Provide management and operational advisory services to Country Offices;
- Directly manage national programmes in countries where UNDP has no Country Office (e.g. new European Union Member States);
- Strengthen UN coordination and manage regional development partnerships.
Globally: … (full text about).