Linked with Pung Chhiv Kek Galabru – Cambodia.
Since 1992, LICADHO has been at the forefront of efforts to protect human rights in Cambodia and to promote respect for civil and political rights by the Cambodian government and institutions. Building on its past achievements, LICADHO continues to be an advocate for the people and a monitor of the government through wide-ranging human rights programs from its main office in Phnom Penh and 12 provincial offices … (about 1/2).
Homepage and news;
Children’s rights; Human rights education; Medical office; Prison project; Project against torture; Women’s rights;
LICADHO Six Month Activity Report 2008; Press releases; Videos; Latest audio clips;
Latest photo Albums: Razing Dey Krahorm, Kampot Forced Eviction;
About Cambodia: Donate; Links;
Addresses: Cambodian League for the Promotion and Defense of Human Rights LICADHO, #16, St. 99, Boeung Trabek, Phnom Penh, Cambodia;
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 499, Phnom Penh, Cambodia;
Contact – online and provincial offices.
About LICADHO 2/2: … LICADHO pursues its mandate through its 7 program offices:
- The Advocacy, Documentation and Resources Office compiles case files into a central electronic database, so that accurate information can be easily accessed and analyzed.
- The Human Rights Education Office provides training courses to target groups such as government officials, police, students and monks, as well as conducting dissemination sessions to the general public.
- The Monitoring Office investigates human rights violations and assists victims with the legal process. Specially-trained staff also monitor 18 prisons to assess conditions and ensure that pre-trial detainees have access to legal representation.
- The Medical Office provides medical assistance to prisoners and prison officials in 18 prisons, as well as providing medical care and referrals for victims of human rights violations.
- Project Against Torture provides comprehensive rehabilitation services to victims of torture and conducts advocacy against torture.
- The Children’s Rights Office educates the public on children’s rights, creates child protection networks at the grassroots level and investigates violations of children’s rights.
- The Women’s Rights Office educates the public about women’s rights, investigates women’s rights violations, and advocates for social and legal changes.
In addition, LICADHO conducts advocacy at the national level to bring about reforms, and works with other local and international NGOs to influence the government. LICADHO regularly produces comprehensive reports and briefing papers, and is one of the main sources of information on human rights in Cambodia.
In all of its activities LICADHO seeks to have maximum impact based on these principles:
- LICADHO’s work should have a direct effect on the victims of human rights violations;
- LICADHO seeks to empower people to exercise their rights and protect themselves against abuses; and finally LICADHO aims to reduce the climate of violence and impunity by influencing and educating key players and policy makers. The end result of these measures is a tangible improvement in the human rights situation … (full text).