Blue Cross of India

Working for Animals since 1964

It all started one rainy day in 1959 when Captain Sundaram couldn’t just walk away from the two pups struggling to stay afloat in the flooded roads of T Nagar. He took them home-and that gesture marked the beginning of Blue Cross, the animal shelter in his house which at one stage had 60 cats, dogs, goats, bandicoots and also a pair of baby mongooses … (Founder).

Homepage;
Activities; Centres; Membership; Issues; PCA Acts The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960;
ABC Animal Birth Control; Adopt;
Update on the Tsunami relief work and the requirements in Tamil Nadu; Newsletter; Links;
Address: Blue Cross Of India, 1 Eldams Road, Chennai – 600 018, India;
Contact.

About: The Blue Cross of India was established in 1959 and registered as a Society under the Societies Registration Act in 1964 to alleviate the suffering of animals. It has grown from small beginnings to become one of India’s largest animal welfare organizations, running active animal welfare, animal rights and humane education programmes.

To ensure that all monies received by the Society are used primarily for animal welfare activities, the administration and non-medical activities of the Blue Cross of India are almost entirely looked after by members who donate their time and expertise on a purely honorary basis.

The work of the Blue Cross has received national and international recognition. Its Office Bearers have served on many State and Central Government Committees over the last forty years.

Captain V. Sundaram was a member of the Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI) in the nineteen sixties and again in the eighties. His work was recognized by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals as early as 1963 when he was awarded their Queen Victoria Medal. In 1964, he was awarded the Madras SPCA’s Silver Medal and in 1991, the Watumall Foundation of Hawaii bestowed their award for his animal welfare activities. The Mylapore Academy and many others honoured him. The Government of India conferred their Prani Mitra award on him in 1997.

Dr. S. Chinny Krishna was a member of the AWBI from 1994 to 1997 and in 2001 he was made the Vice Chairman of the AWBI. In the same year, he was awarded the Jeev Daya Puraskar by the Government of India. In 2002, he received the Lifetime Achievement Award of the Venu Menon Animal Allies Foundation from the Vice President of India, Mr. Krishna Kant. From 1996 to 2002, Dr. Krishna served as a member of the Central Government’s Committee for the Purpose of Control and Supervision of Experiments on Animals and as Chairman of several of its sub-committees. Several Lions and Rotary Clubs have recognized his work for animals as has the International Governor of Lions Clubs International who recognized his work for animals in 1987. He was the first District Chairman for Animal Welfare in the seventy-year history of Lionism when Lion S. T. Vanchinathan was the District Governor of Lions District 324.

Governing Body members have served on the Central Zoo Authority and on Mr. Sam Pitroda’s Street Dog Mission appointed by Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi and on State Animal Welfare Boards.

The AWBI granted recognition in 1966. The Blue Cross is affiliated to the RSPCA and WSPA.

Locations: … (full text).

Comments are closed.