INTERNATIONAL COMMISSION OF JURISTS ICJ

also in french and spanish

For over five decades, the ICJ has played a seminal role in establishing international human rights standards and working towards their implementation. Through pioneering activities, including inquiry commissions, trial observations, fact-finding missions, public denunciations and quiet diplomacy, the ICJ has been a powerful advocate for justice … (full text History).

english Homepage;
Structure; Staff; Meet; around the world; Panel; Fundraising; involve; Publications; Activities;
Centers: of Independence, of Resources;
Address: International Commission of Jurists P.O. Box 91, 33 rue des Bains, 1211 Geneva 8, Switzerland;
Contact.

About: The International Commission of Jurists is dedicated to the primacy, coherence and implementation of international law and principles that advance human rights.  

What distinguishes the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) is its impartial, objective and authoritative legal approach to the protection and promotion of human rights through the rule of law.

The ICJ provides legal expertise at both the international and national levels to ensure that developments in international law adhere to human rights principles and that international standards are implemented at the national level.

The Commission was founded in Berlin in 1952 and its membership is composed of sixty eminent jurists who are representatives of the different legal systems of the world. Based in Geneva, the International Secretariat is responsible for the realisation of the aims and objectives of the Commission. In carrying out its work, the International Secretariat benefits from a network of autonomous national sections and affiliated organisations located in all continents.

Awards recognising the ICJ’s contributions to the promotion and protection of human rights include the first European Human Rights Prize by the Council of Europe, the Wateler Peace Prize, the Erasmus Prize, and the United Nations Award for Human Rights.

Comments are closed.